The Royals ‘will come back stronger’ from Charles and Kate’s shock cancer diagnoses, insiders say as the King keeps Ascot and summer parties in his sights

Photo of author
Written By Maya Cantina
  • Senior royals are rallying around to ensure ‘smooth sailing’ of the monarchy
  • King, 75 and his daughter-in-law, 42 have been brought closer by diagnoses 

The Royal Family will emerge stronger from the shock double cancer diagnosis of the King and the Princess of Wales, insiders insisted last night.

Sources said ‘things may look different for a while’ but senior royals are rallying around to ensure the continued ‘smooth sailing’ of the monarchy while two of its biggest stars have treatment.

And while it is likely that the country may have to get used to a ‘new normal’ when it comes to the institution, the insiders say it will be no less effective.

It can today be revealed that Charles is ‘so optimistic’ about his treatment that he has already expressed a hope to attend Royal Ascot this summer, as well as some of the garden parties at Buckingham Palace that honour community and military heroes.

He also intends to lead a small family gathering to church at Windsor on Easter Sunday, although the princess and her family will miss out.

Sources say that the King and the Princess of Wales have been brought closer together by their shared diagnosis

The King is so 'optimistic' about his treatment that he has expressed a hope to attend events this summer, including garden parties at Buckingham Palace

The King is so ‘optimistic’ about his treatment that he has expressed a hope to attend events this summer, including garden parties at Buckingham Palace

In a televised message on Friday, Catherine told the nation she began a course of 'preventative chemotherapy' in late February

In a televised message on Friday, Catherine told the nation she began a course of ‘preventative chemotherapy’ in late February

A source said that Catherine's diagnosis came as 'a shock to her'. The Princess of Wales is pictured in December last year

A source said that Catherine’s diagnosis came as ‘a shock to her’. The Princess of Wales is pictured in December last year

The princess said she had reassured her three children, George, ten, Charlotte, eight, and Louis, five: 'That I am going to be OK'

The princess said she had reassured her three children, George, ten, Charlotte, eight, and Louis, five: ‘That I am going to be OK’

The Prince and Princess of Wales are spending Easter privately with their children, pictured in autumn 2020

The Prince and Princess of Wales are spending Easter privately with their children, pictured in autumn 2020

Sources say the King, 75, and his daughter-in-law, 42, have been brought even closer by their shared diagnosis. 

On Thursday they had lunch at Windsor, a day after Kate recorded a poignant video message revealing that tests after major abdominal surgery in January showed the presence of cancer.

She began a course of ‘preventative chemotherapy’ in late February, she told the nation, adding that she had reassured her three children, George, ten, Charlotte, eight, and Louis, five: ‘That I am going to be OK.’

Charles was already aware of the princess’s diagnosis but it is clear that given his own treatment for an unspecified form of cancer, the pair would have had a lot to discuss.

They have grown increasingly close over the years and the King greatly admires his daughter-in-law – with whom he shares a love of the arts and music – for bringing so much happiness to his son and for her ‘brilliance’ as a mother to his grandchildren.

They were both in hospital in January, after the King was admitted to The London Clinic for surgery on an enlarged prostate and it is known he visited Kate’s bedside several times.

One royal insider alleged that the Waleses decided to share Kate’s diagnosis after seeing the ‘warmth and affection’ Charles received when he went public with his own cancer battle.

‘It some ways it provided a template,’ the source said of Charles’ announcement last month, telling The Times: ‘For the King, the issue was how to act quickly to share the information with an audience of millions, while for the princess the core audience was their three young children and a message that had to be sensitively handled at the right time before it could be shared with the wider public.’

A source also told the Mail yesterday that both the Prince and Princess of Wales had been greatly ‘heartened’ by the public messages of support they had received since the news was announced on Friday. They are spending Easter privately with their three children.

The source said: ‘They are human beings. Every person deals with it [cancer] totally differently. There is no fast forward button.

‘In the princess’s case, as she said, it was a shock to her. She had to process the news, then she had to help her husband to process the news … and then they had to get their three young children to a place where they could come to terms with it. 

‘And then she had to share it with the entire world. This is never a message you would want to share, but it was right that it was done when she was ready.

The Princess of Wales (pictured in November 2023) has revealed that she felt it was her duty to tell the public about her cancer diagnosis

The Princess of Wales (pictured in November 2023) has revealed that she felt it was her duty to tell the public about her cancer diagnosis

The Waleses at last year's service traditional Easter service in St George's Chapel in Windsor

The Waleses at last year’s service traditional Easter service in St George’s Chapel in Windsor

It has been confirmed that the family will not attend the Easter service in Windsor next Sunday

It has been confirmed that the family will not attend the Easter service in Windsor next Sunday

It is understood William plans to be back at work in a 'meaningful' way after his children return to school following the Easter holidays

It is understood William plans to be back at work in a ‘meaningful’ way after his children return to school following the Easter holidays

The source added that it was right that Catherine had shared her news with the world when she was ready

The source added that it was right that Catherine had shared her news with the world when she was ready

‘For her to come out and say I need the time and space and privacy to recover is really key and important. And hopefully they get that over Easter. They are human and this is a very human situation.’

Another source said that while it had been a ‘tough’ start to the year, the entire family had been touched by the public reaction.

‘What has been amazing in all of this is that far from what the republicans would have you believe, which is that people don’t really care about the Royal Family, is that the whole world actually cares a very great deal,’ they said. What is important, say insiders, is predictions of a crisis in the ranks may be vastly premature.

‘It’s a temporary period where two of its star players are out of action and if anything this will only make them stronger,’ said one. ‘The mood in the palace is one of optimism in the circumstances, it really is.’

It is understood William plans to be back at work in a ‘meaningful’ way after his children have returned to school following Easter. ‘He will continue to balance supporting his wife and his children in addition to his public duties the way he has over the last few months,’ a source explained. 

Despite planning to return to work, William has ‘hunkered’ down in his most important role – being a ‘husband, father and son’ – one insider noted, claiming that he ‘knows only too well what lies in front of him one day’.

‘You can imagine what he must personally be going through,’ a friend told The Telegraph. ‘His wife is the centre of his world. His father is ill. He has got a lot on his plate.’

Queen Camilla, as well as Princess Anne and the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, will continue to undertake a slew of public engagements. And the King himself will continue to carry out his own duties, just away from the public gaze.

It is understood he has a ‘full programme’ of private and state commitments next week and is planning to ‘ramp up’ his schedule over the coming weeks. 

‘While it is too early to confirm things – and, of course, it is relatively early in His Majesty’s treatment cycle – the patient is positive, the doctors are optimistic and the treatments are incredibly sophisticated,’ a source said.

‘You can see for yourself it hasn’t limited his capacity, it hasn’t impacted his appearance and it certainly hasn’t diminished his appetite for work.

‘Both the King and his team’s attitude is commitment – with knobs on.’ 

What the palace will, however, continue to take into account is the ‘risk threshold’ of associating with large numbers of people – rather like in Covid times.

Queen Camilla will continue to undertake a string of public engagements while her husband, the King plans to 'ramp up' his schedule of events outside the public gaze in the coming weeks

Queen Camilla will continue to undertake a string of public engagements while her husband, the King plans to ‘ramp up’ his schedule of events outside the public gaze in the coming weeks

The Prince of Wales will continue to balance supporting his wife and children with public duties in the way he has over the past few months

The Prince of Wales will continue to balance supporting his wife and children with public duties in the way he has over the past few months

The Palace will take into account the 'risk threshold' of the King associating with large numbers of people, meaning he will likely attend events such as Royal Ascot while staying in the royal box

The Palace will take into account the ‘risk threshold’ of the King associating with large numbers of people, meaning he will likely attend events such as Royal Ascot while staying in the royal box

This means that while Charles hopes to attend Royal Ascot, a hardy annual in the royal calendar, he is unlikely to mix with thousands of people but instead, perhaps, stay in the royal box where he can still be seen by the public. 

The King’s former communications secretary, Paddy Harverson, said yesterday the public must come to terms with the ‘new reality’ that there are fewer working royals.

Speaking on the BBC’s Sunday With Laura Kuenssberg programme, he also denied that the institution was ‘fragile’. 

He said: ‘We just have to come to terms with the new reality, there’s fewer of them. And so everyone just needs to sort of understand that they will still be busy, they will get over this. I am highly confident that the King, who I know well, is incredibly strong, very resilient, a great spiritual person, so I know he’ll get through it.

‘And likewise with Kate, I think once they’re through this sticky patch, I think we’ll get back to normal.’

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are believed to have made contact with William and Kate ‘privately’ on Friday night following the princess’s video revealing she is receiving ‘preventative’ chemotherapy. 

It is not clear if the contact was a phone, video call or some messages of support – while the possibility of whether Harry will fly back to the UK is unknown. 

It was also claimed in the United States that the Sussexes only learned about Kate’s condition at the same time the world heard the news.

A royal expert claimed Kate chose not to tell Harry and Meghan about her cancer because they ‘can’t be trusted’, The Sun reported.  

Harry is hoping to attend a service at St Paul’s Cathedral in London to mark the tenth anniversary of the Invictus Games. The solo visit – likely without Meghan and their two young children Archie and Lilibet – could be an opportunity to build bridges with his estranged brother William. 

But sources close to William and Kate have suggested that, with both Kate and King Charles’s cancer diagnosis, the ‘Harry problem’ is the last thing on their minds, according to The Telegraph. 

The Princess of Wales Kate Middleton, pictured here visiting Factory Works in Birmingham in October 23, spent a fortnight in the London Clinic after abdominal surgery in January

The Princess of Wales Kate Middleton, pictured here visiting Factory Works in Birmingham in October 23, spent a fortnight in the London Clinic after abdominal surgery in January

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are believed to have made contact with the Prince and Princess of Wales 'privately' on Friday night

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are believed to have made contact with the Prince and Princess of Wales ‘privately’ on Friday night

A royal source told the newspaper this weekend that William ‘has always done all he can to protect his family’ – meaning he is focused on ensuring Kate’s privacy and protecting their children. 

Sources told the New York Post that the couple had ‘no idea’ about Kate’s illness. 

The contact between the two brothers was disclosed by ITV Royal Editor Chris Ship.

The Duke of Sussex, 39, had previously described Kate as the ‘big sister I never had’ when she became engaged to William 11 years ago.

However, his relationship with the Prince and Princess of Wales has fractured following the bitter aftermath of Megxit.

Kate last met Harry after the Queen’s death in September 2022, when they joined their spouses on a walkabout in Windsor.

Last week, the rift between William and Harry was more than evident as the brothers made duelling appearances at a memorial event for their mother Princess Diana, with William leaving the ceremony before Harry joined via videolink.

The Princess of Wales has received an out pour of support since she announced her diagnosis in a video message on Friday. 

An eight-year-old girl who met the Princess during her own cancer battle sent her a heartwarming message to urge Kate to ‘fight like I did’. 

Mila Sneddon, eight, from Falkirk, Scotland, was ‘deeply saddened’ by the Princess’ shock diagnosis and has issued her own rallying cry to Kate saying ‘you will be brave because I was’. 

The Prince and Princess of Wales, pictured here at Fitzalan High School in Cardiff last October, have thanked the public for their support following news of her cancer treatment

The Prince and Princess of Wales, pictured here at Fitzalan High School in Cardiff last October, have thanked the public for their support following news of her cancer treatment

William and Kate were seen leaving Windsor together as they were driven in a car on March 11

William and Kate were seen leaving Windsor together as they were driven in a car on March 11

William and Kate are pictured here arriving at St David's Cathedral in Haverfordwest in Wales last September 8 for a service commemorating the life of the late Queen Elizabeth II

William and Kate are pictured here arriving at St David’s Cathedral in Haverfordwest in Wales last September 8 for a service commemorating the life of the late Queen Elizabeth II

Similarly, the family of late Dame Deborah James last night said that Kate has shown ‘incredible courage’ and urged her to ‘hold on to rebellious hope’.

Heather, 66, and Alistair James, 68, told The Sun that their daughter would be ‘proud’ of the Kate for ‘being so open and honest’ about her treatment.

‘Her bravery will help millions of cancer patients and their families face this horrible disease,’ the couple said, adding that ‘Kate will undoubtedly encourage many more people who are living with potential symptoms of cancer, to seek medical help. 

‘In doing so, she will save lives.’

Dame Deborah passed away at the age of 40 in June 2022 following a five-year battle with bowel cancer. 

ᴀʀᴛɪᴄʟᴇ ꜱᴏᴜʀᴄᴇ

Leave a Comment