Harry and Meghan’s message to Kate Middleton was ‘lovely’ but it would be ‘a distraction’ for William’s brother to return to the UK to ‘help them out’ says royal insider as prince stays in California

Photo of author
Written By Maya Cantina

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s ‘lovely’ message to the Princess of Wales should give ‘hope’ that their rift could be mended in future – but a visit to the UK by the Sussexes would be a ‘distraction’ from Kate’s recovery, a royal expert said today.

Biographer and historian Hugo Vickers believes the California couple should stay in the US for now to aid the future queen’s cancer fight and recovery.

He said: ‘People ask if Prince Harry is going to come back and help them out, but I think that would be very counterproductive’.

Prince Harry, who once said she was ‘the sister I never had’ and called her ‘Cath’,  flew to the UK shortly after his father announced he was battling the disease in January – but a rushed trip to see Kate is less likely.

However, the Duke of Sussex is due in Britain in May for a service celebrating ten years of the Invictus Games – and a visit to see his brother and sister-in-law could be possible then, if relations thawed.

The Sussexes sent a message of goodwill to the Princess of Wales last night – shortly after she announced in an emotional and unprecedented video message that she has cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy.

Harry and Meghan, who were not briefed in advance and reportedly learned it at the same time as millions around the world, said in a statement: ‘We wish health and healing for Kate and the family, and hope they are able to do so privately and in peace.’

Hugo Vickers said today that the message was ‘lovely’. When asked if Kate’s cancer diagnosis could lead to a repair of relations between Harry and William, he said: ‘Lets hope so’, but added: ‘I don’t think that’s on the cards at the moment to be honest’.

The Princess of Wales told in a video message how she has been diagnosed with cancer. The Sussexes did not know in advance of the historic message

Harry and Meghan made an appearance at an art event in California's SoFi stadium on Thursday, just hours before the Princess of Wales' cancer announcement. There statement has been seen positively by royal watchers

Harry and Meghan made an appearance at an art event in California’s SoFi stadium on Thursday, just hours before the Princess of Wales’ cancer announcement. There statement has been seen positively by royal watchers

Once dubbed the 'Fab Four', the two couples have not been seen together publicly since the Queen's funeral (Pictured on September 10th 2022)

Once dubbed the ‘Fab Four’, the two couples have not been seen together publicly since the Queen’s funeral (Pictured on September 10th 2022) 

Harry and Kate laugh together while attending Trooping the Colour in 2014 . Harry said she was the sister he never had - but their relationship has struggled since Megxit

Harry and Kate laugh together while attending Trooping the Colour in 2014 . Harry said she was the sister he never had – but their relationship has struggled since Megxit

He went on: ‘There’s an awful lot of things that have to happen before that is a possibility. I think that would just be a nasty distraction I think’. 

The future queen began a course of “preventative chemotherapy” late in February but is said to have a positive mindset for her recovery and is in good spirits, describing herself as “well and getting stronger every day”.

Last month, Harry returned to the UK after making an emergency dash from the US to see the King following his cancer diagnosis.

The duke cleared his diary and made the journey alone, with Meghan and their children Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet remaining at home in California.

But there was no reconciliation between Harry and his brother the Prince of Wales during the visit, after the duke spent around 45 minutes at Clarence House seeing Charles.

He last appeared alongside the Windsors and the Waleses at the King’s coronation, but hurried home immediately afterwards to mark his son’s fourth birthday.

Since stepping down as working royals in 2020 and moving to California with their family, the Sussexes have aired allegations and grievances against the monarchy and members of Harry’s family.

The duke’s allegations against his family appeared unrelenting in the aftermath of Megxit with his Oprah interview, and, in the months following the Queen’s death, his Netflix documentary and memoir Spare.

There were accusations of racism in relation to Archie’s skin tone before he was born – with the remarks in the end alleged to have come from two senior royals – and claims Kensington Palace lied to protect William over reports he allegedly bullied Harry out of the royal family.

The duke also accused William of physically attacking him and throwing him into a dog bowl in a row over Meghan, teasing him about his panic attacks, and, along with Kate, encouraging him to wear a Nazi uniform at a fancy dress party.

While Charles and Harry were said to still speak, William has reportedly not been in contact with his brother for an extended period of time – and no sign of a thawing in relations.

Today Kate is at Windsor with her family, as she fights cancer with millions willing her on to defeat it. 

Celebrities, social media influencers, newsreaders and members of the public – including many outside Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace – offered messages of goodwill after Kate announced her diagnosis in a video message. 

A common theme of the tributes has been the encouraging salute, ‘You’ve got this’, as 42-year-old Kate spoke of assuring her children she was going to be ‘OK’ – after admirers broke down in tears last night as they learnt the news.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and US President Joe Biden have been among those sending best wishes, while King Charles said he was ‘so proud’ of his daughter-in-law for her bravery.

Kate’s parents Carole and Michael Middleton have come to her aid and there have been messages from her siblings Pippa Matthews and James Middleton.

Well-wishers have been gathering outside Kensington Palace today and sending their support

Well-wishers have been gathering outside Kensington Palace today and sending their support

There have also been crowds outside Buckingham Palace as the nation united behind Kate

There have also been crowds outside Buckingham Palace as the nation united behind Kate

Kate’s cancer battle in her own words: The Princess of Wales’ emotional video statement in full 

I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you, personally, for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding whilst I have been recovering from surgery.

It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family, but I’ve had a fantastic medical team who have taken great care of me, for which I am so grateful.

In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment.

This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family.

As you can imagine, this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment. But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to

George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok.

As I have said to them; I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits.

Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.

We hope that you will understand that, as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment. My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I am able, but for now I must focus on making a full recovery.

At this time, I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone.

Advertisement

Prince Harry and Meghan have also both contacted his brother William and Kate after finding out the princess has been having treatment for cancer.

Andrea Burns, an American living in London, walked up to Kensington Palace specifically for Kate while her son was playing football in nearby Hyde Park.

She said: ‘Obviously a shock and my heart breaks for her and I can’t imagine what its been like for her, having the major surgery which is pretty serious.

‘I just can’t imagine what the time was like of her to be dealing with and to find out the dreaded result it was cancer, but it does sound like early stages and they caught it in time.

‘I cannot imagine the love and support this wonderful, courageous, strong, brave, elegant, graceful person is going to receive in the coming days weeks, months and years.

‘She is poised, she is thoughtful – she spoke to other cancer patients and her kind words to them at a time when she is dealing with cancer just speaks to the person she is and she is an example toe everyone going through challenges in life.

‘You go through it privately and you pull it together and you move on the best you can – she’s remarkable and she’s proved it once again.’ 

The princess is now on what has been described as a ‘recovery pathway’ having commenced a course of chemotherapy in late February.

It is for this reason that William pulled out of a memorial service for the late King Constantine of Greece.

Kate spent a fortnight at the London Clinic after being admitted on January 16 for abdominal surgery.

King Charles and Queen Camilla visited her ward on January 26 before Charles himself underwent an operation for a benign prostate cancer condition – and was later diagnosed with cancer, for which he has been receiving treatment since. 

In a statement released on his behalf last night, Buckingham Palace said: ‘His Majesty is ‘so proud of Catherine for her courage in speaking as she did’.

‘Following their time in hospital together, HM has ‘remained in the closest contact with his beloved daughter-in-law throughout the past weeks’.

‘Both Their Majesties ‘will continue to offer their love and support to the whole family through this difficult time’.’

Kate had a message for fellow cancer sufferers, telling them: ‘You are not alone’

The London Clinic private hospital, where Kate was treated, is pictured earlier this month

The London Clinic private hospital, where Kate was treated, is pictured earlier this month

Prince George, Prince William, Princess Charlotte, Prince Louis and Kate on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on June 5, 2022

Prince George, Prince William, Princess Charlotte, Prince Louis and Kate on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on June 5, 2022

Their words came after Kate released a video message recorded on Wednesday at Windsor, saying: ‘In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous.

‘The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present.

‘My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment.

‘This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family. As you can imagine, this has taken time.’

ᴀʀᴛɪᴄʟᴇ ꜱᴏᴜʀᴄᴇ

Leave a Comment