Son Heung-min scored a brilliant extra-time free-kick to send South Korea to the Asian Cup semi-finals, having been seconds away from losing to Australia.
Australia had looked set for victory thanks to Craig Goodwin’s volley from Nathaniel Atkinson’s cross.
But Son was fouled by Lewis Miller and Hwang Hee-chan’s 96th-minute penalty sent the game to extra time.
Tottenham’s Son was the difference in the added 30 minutes, as he curled a free-kick past Mat Ryan in Qatar.
Australia ended with 10 men after Aiden O’Neill was sent off by the video assistant referee for a dangerous foul.
South Korea, who last won the Asian Cup in 1960, were on the brink of elimination for the second round in a row.
In the last 16, Cho Gue-sung’s 99th-minute equaliser denied Saudi Arabia with the Koreans winning on penalties.
This win could help relieve some pressure on Jurgen Klinsmann, who was appointed a year ago and is unpopular with the Korean fans.
Graham Arnold’s Australia squandered several good chances to double their lead, and potentially wrap up the game, with Martin Boyle being denied by a fine Cho Hyun-woo double save and Mitchell Duke missing two good chances.
Jordan will be South Korea’s opponents in Tuesday’s semi-final after a 1-0 win over Asian Cup debutants Tajikistan.
Earlier on Friday, Jordan made history as they reached the semi-finals for the first time. Vahdat Hanonov’s own goal, as Abdallah Nasib’s header went in off his chest, saw off surprise package Tajikistan.
Iran face Japan and hosts Qatar play Uzbekistan in Saturday’s other two quarter-finals.
- 3AtkinsonSubstituted forMillerat 73′minutes
- 19SouttarBooked at 45mins
- 8MetcalfeSubstituted forMcGreeat 70′minutes
- 17BaccusSubstituted forO’Neillat 70′minutesBooked at 105mins
- 6BoyleSubstituted forBurgessat 87′minutes
- 15DukeSubstituted forFornaroliat 92′minutes
- 23GoodwinSubstituted forBosat 73′minutes
- 21Cho Hyun-woo
- 23Kim Tae-hwanSubstituted forYangat 85′minutes
- 4Kim Min-jaeBooked at 90mins
- 19Kim Young-gwon
- 5ParkSubstituted forParkat 105′minutes
- 6Hwang In-beomSubstituted forHongat 77′minutes
- 18Lee Kang-inSubstituted forJung Seung-hyunat 120+1′minutes
- 7Son Heung-min
- 11Hwang Hee-chanSubstituted forOhat 105′minutes
- 9Cho Gue-sungSubstituted forLee Jae-sungat 69′minutes
- 3Kim Jin-su
- 10Lee Jae-sung
- 12Song Bum-keun
- 15Jung Seung-hyun
- 17Jeong Woo-yeong
- Ahmed Abu Bakar Said Al Kaf